Congratulations! Your big day has finally arrived and your braces have been removed. You have reached a milestone in your orthodontic treatment. Now it is time to begin the retention period of your treatment. This phase is both exciting and extremely important. A period of time is needed to stabilize the entire mouth once the teeth have been moved into their desired positions. Up to this point it has been a team effort, but now the retention phase is up to you.
To maintain a beautiful smile:
- Wear your retainers as prescribed by your orthodontist.
- Do not let your retainers get damaged or bent. (Keep in case when not in mouth.)
- Do not leave your retainer in reach of pets.
- Remove your retainer for sports such as boxing, football and swimming.
- Clean your retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque and eliminates odors. Orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Never adjust your own retainer, call our office if you feel it is not fitting properly.
- Call our office immediately for an appointment to replace any lost or broken appliances.